--- "DO IT YOURSELF" ENTRY ------- PURPOSE: To allow a child to be securely fastened in a wheelchair with an adapted sleeve covering the seatbelt, making it difficult for the child to unfasten the seatbelt.
MATERIALS USED: Flannel material, sewing machine or needle, sewing thread, straight pins
1. Lay flannel material on flat surface with back side of flannel facing upwards. Flannel material should be approximately 36 inches long and 7 inches wide.
2. Using straight pins, pin edges together lengthwise along material.
3. Using sewing machine or needle, stitch along line lengthwise.
4. Turn material right side out and slip onto one end of wheelchair seatbelt.
5. Fasten seatbelt and slide material over fastener. Scrunch the material up to make it difficult to access the release button on the seatbelt.
6. To unfasten, push material to one side. The soft material will protect the user from scratches and discomfort
Ways to Adapt this Activity
Soft material such as fleece could be used instead of flannel.
Author: Tots-n-Tech, Ideas to Share, contributed by Bill Kienzle, Illinois AT Program, Springfield, Illinois.